- In a large bowl combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt; add the warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 portions. Shape each portion into an oval 3 to 5 inches long. Pull and twist ends slightly.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets; sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer rolls to baking sheets. Use a sharp knife to make a cut about 1/4 inch deep along center of each roll.
- In a small bowl combine egg white and milk. Brush some of the egg white mixture over tops and sides of rolls. Cover and let rise until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake rolls for 15 minutes. Brush again with some of the egg white mixture. Bake about 10 minutes more or until golden brown. Remove rolls from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake rolls as directed. Cool completely. Place rolls in a freezer container or resealable plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw rolls at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Bolillos)
- Per serving:
- 141 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 152 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
Kim Riley 1520 Days Ago
can this be made in a bread machine?