Blueberry Slab Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan; set aside. In a large bowl stir together the 2-1/2 cups flour and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture with the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Form into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Wrap pastry around the rolling pin; unroll it into the prepared baking pan. Ease pastry into the pan and up the sides without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edges of pan. Fold under extra pastry and RWEIfwOK22s as desired.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, the cinnamon, and lemon peel. Add blueberries; toss lightly to coat. Spoon blueberry mixture into pastry-lined pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle with Crumb Topping.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden. (If necessary to prevent overbrowning, loosely cover top of pie with foil the last 10 minutes of baking.) Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely. Use foil to lift uncut pie out of pan. Place on cutting board; cut into rectangles.
From the Test Kitchen
If using frozen blueberries, toss with the sugar mixture as directed, then let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before adding to the crust. Berries will still be icy.
- In a large bowl stir together rolled oats, brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until oat mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans.
Nutrition Facts (Blueberry Slab Pie )
- Per serving:
- 267 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 103 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 21 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.