Blueberry-Peach Custard Kuchen
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate; set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir 1/2 cup sugar, milk, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add 2 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed about 2 minutes or until smooth. Beat in as much of the remaining flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. (Batter will be stiff.)
- Spread batter in the prepared pie plate. Top with peach slices and blueberries. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine 1 egg, 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Stir in half-and-half. Pour mixture over fruit.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet; place on oven rack. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill within 2 hours. If desired, sprinkle each serving with cinnamon.
From the Test Kitchen
Store kuchen, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Facts (Blueberry-Peach Custard Kuchen)
- Per serving:
- 253 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 73 mg chol. ,
- 221 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.