Blueberry Crumble Slab Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan; set aside. For pastry, in a large bowl stir together 2 1/2 cups flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the ice water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Wrap pastry around the rolling pin; unroll into the prepared baking pan. Ease pastry onto the bottom and up the sides without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edges of pan. Fold under extra pastry and crimp edges as desired.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon, and lemon peel. Add blueberries; toss gently to coat. Spoon blueberry mixture evenly into pastry-lined baking pan. Sprinkle with Crumb Topping.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover top of pie loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely. Using the edges of the foil lining, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
If using frozen blueberries, toss with the sugar mixture as directed, then let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before adding to the pastry-lined pan. Berries will still be icy.
- In a large bowl stir together rolled oats, brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until oat mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans.
Nutrition Facts (Blueberry Crumble Slab Pie)
- Per serving:
- 267 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 103 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 21 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.