Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion-Stuffed Flank Steak
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook for 4 to 6 minutes more or until onion is golden, stirring occasionally.
- Trim fat from steak. Cut a pocket in the steak by using a long sharp knife to cut horizontally through the steak to, but not through, the opposite side. Spoon caramelized onion and the 1/2 cup blue cheese into the pocket. Secure opening with wooden toothpicks.* Sprinkle outside of steak with additional salt and pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, grill steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 17 to 21 minutes for medium doneness (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steak on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- Remove steak from grill. Cover with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, the 2 tablespoons blue cheese, and the cayenne pepper. Remove toothpicks. Slice steak across the grain. Serve with blue cheese sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Soak wooden toothpicks in water for 15 minutes to keep them from burning during grilling.
Nutrition Facts (Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion-Stuffed Flank Steak)
- Per serving:
- 427 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 80 mg chol. ,
- 653 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 35 g pro.