Black Walnut Cake
- Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3, 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the 1/2 cup butter, shortening, and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the creamed butter alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the 2 teaspoons vanilla and then the walnuts.
- Evenly divide the batter among the 3 cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of each comes out clean. Cool the cake layers thoroughly in the pans, then turn them out onto cooling racks.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until creamy and smooth. Beat in the 1 cup butter. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar, then the 1 tablespoon vanilla.
- Frost cake layers with frosting.
Nutrition Facts (Black Walnut Cake)
- Per serving:
- 841 kcal ,
- 42 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 125 mg chol. ,
- 514 mg sodium ,
- 110 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 86 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.
Becky Raybourn 886 Days Ago
Made the Black Walnut cake for a birthday cake and received several request for the Receipts. It is so good. Thanks for including in the magazine?