Black Forest Cocoa Crinkles
- In a small bowl combine the hot water and coffee crystals, stirring until coffee crystals are dissolved; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine coffee mixture, eggs, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, butter, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the chocolate pieces, and cherries. Cover; chill for 2 to 24 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Place powdered sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in powdered sugar to coat. Place balls 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set and tops are dry (do not overbake). Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
In a heavy small saucepan cook and stir 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 cup shortening over low heat until melted. Remove from heat; cool for 15 minutes. In a large bowl combine 3 lightly beaten eggs, 2 cups granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chocolate mixture. Gradually add 2 cups all-purpose flour, stirring until thoroughly combined. Cover; chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside. Place 2/3 cup powdered sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar to coat generously. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake about 10 minutes or just until edges are set. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes about 60 cookies.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 74 calories, 1 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 22 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 3% iron
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Black Forest Cocoa Crinkles)
- Per serving:
- 90 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 56 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.