Black Forest Cake Roll
- Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease paper. Set pan aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Gradually beat in 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar until combined; set aside. Thoroughly wash beaters. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold about one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture; fold egg yolk mixture into the remaining beaten egg whites. Sift flour and 3 tablespoons cocoa powder over egg mixture; fold in gently just until combined. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a towel sprinkled with additional powdered sugar; peel off paper. Roll towel and cake into a spiral, starting from a short side of the cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for brandied cherries, in a medium saucepan stir together 1/3 cup granulated sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cherries, 3 tablespoons brandy, and stick cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a medium bowl; cool completely. Remove stick cinnamon.
- For filling, in a 1-cup glass measuring cup combine the cold water and gelatin. Let stand for 2 minutes. Place measuring cup in a small saucepan of boiling water. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. In a large mixing bowl beat 1 cup whipping cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1 tablespoon brandy on medium speed while gradually drizzling gelatin mixture over cream mixture. Continue beating cream mixture until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- To fill cake, unroll cake roll. Spread with filling to within 1 inch of the edges. Spoon brandied cherries evenly over filling. Roll up cake without towel. Place cake roll, seam side down, on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- For ganache, in a small saucepan bring 1/2 cup whipping cream just to boiling over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add semisweet chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool about 15 minutes or until thickened (if necessary, chill until thickened).
- Place melted milk chocolate in a small resealable plastic bag; set aside. Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Snip a small hole in one corner of the bag of milk chocolate; pipe evenly-spaced lines of chocolate across cake. Pull the tip of a toothpick or fork across lines to create a scalloped pattern. Chill cake about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Transfer to a serving plate. If desired, top with chocolate shards and/or shavings and sprinkle with additional cocoa powder.
From the Test Kitchen
To make chocolate shards and/or shavings, line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. In a small saucepan cook and stir 1/2 to 2/3 cup chopped milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Spread in a thin layer (about a 7x5-inch rectangle) on the prepared baking sheet. Let stand until set (if necessary, chill until set). Peel chocolate off foil. For shards, break chocolate into irregular pieces. For shavings, make short strokes with a vegetable peeler across chocolate.
Nutrition Facts (Black Forest Cake Roll)
- Per serving:
- 338 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 135 mg chol. ,
- 100 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.