Birthday Party Cookie Cakes
- Prepare Sugar Cookie Cutouts as directed, except roll dough until 1/4 inch thick and use 1-1/2-inch, 2-1/2-inch, and 3-1/2-inch round cookie cutters to cut dough into an equal number of 1-1/2-inch, 2-1/2-inch, and 3-1/2-inch circles. Continue as directed, except bake for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Tint Creamy White Frosting using decorating gel. Spoon tinted frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a 1/2-inch open star decorating tip (such as Wilton brand #2110). (Or use your favorite decorating tip to create the frosting swirl.)
- To assemble each cookie cake, pipe frosting onto the top of a 1-1/2-inch cookie, a 2-1/2-inch cookie, and a 3-1/2-inch cookie. Stack cookies to create a tiered cookie cake. Top with sprinkles. Insert a small candle into the frosting on top of cake. (If your candle is too tall, simply trim the bottom with scissors or a sharp knife.)
From the Test Kitchen
1-1/2-inch, 2-1/2-inch, and 3-1/2-inch round cookie cutters Decorating bag 1/2-inch open star decorating tip (such as Wilton brand #2110) Small candle
Creamy White Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add about half of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar and enough of the remaining milk to reach spreading consistency.
Sugar Cookie Cutouts
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and cornstarch; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using 2-1/2- to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.