- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.
- In a large saucepan cook and stir brown sugar and butter over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Coarsely chop 1 cup of the almonds;** set aside. Place the remaining 1 cup almonds in a food processor. Cover and process until a paste begins to form. Stir the almond paste, almond extract, and vanilla into butter mixture. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until combined. In a small bowl stir together flour and baking powder; gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture until combined. Stir in chopped almonds and dried cranberries.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bars from pan. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Toasting the almonds adds a nutty flavor and brown specks to these light-color bars. To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned, stirring once or twice.
To save time, use a food processor to coarsely chop the 1 cup almonds.
Place bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts (Berry Blondies)
- Per serving:
- 183 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 22 mg chol. ,
- 65 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.