Bell-Shape Ornament Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Beat in the ground almonds and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill dough about 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2-inch bell-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Using a beverage straw, cut a hole centered near top of each bell. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are light brown. If necessary, while cookies are still hot, use the straw to re-form the hole in each cookie. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Outline and flood cookies with glaze-consistency Royal Icing tinted dark green. While icing is still wet, add drops and lines of glaze-consistency Royal Icing tinted light green. Decorate with snowflake sprinkles; let stand until set. If desired, thread hanging loop through each hole.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Bell-Shape Ornament Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 86 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 41 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.