Beer Chili Deluxe
The day before:
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. In a 5 1/2- or 6-quart slow cooker with a car adapter combine meat, sweet peppers, and onions. Stir in chili beans in gravy, tomatoes, kidney beans, beer, chipotle peppers, garlic salt, cumin, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours; cool slightly. Spoon off fat. Transfer chili to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Return chili to slow cooker. Cover and reheat on high-heat setting for 1 to 2 hours or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. If desired, tote Avocado-Tomato Salsa, Cilantro Sour Cream, or Hotter-than-Hades Cheese 'n' Nuts, and lime slices in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep chili warm on warm-heat setting. Serve with avocado salsa, cilantro cream, or cheese 'n' nuts, and lime slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
5 1/2- or 6-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs (optional)
- In a medium bowl combine avocado, seeded, peeled, and chopped; quartered cherry tomatoes; lemon juice or lime juice; and fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and chopped.*
Cilantro Sour Cream
- In a small bowl combine sour cream, snipped fresh cilantro, and lime juice.
Hotter-than-Hades Cheese 'n' Nuts
- In a small bowl combine shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend, finely chopped toasted walnuts, and sliced pickled jalapeno chile peppers, chopped.
Nutrition Facts (Beer Chili Deluxe)
- Per serving:
- 294 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 823 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 8 g fiber ,
- 29 g pro.