Beer-Braised Brisket Burritos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In an ovenproof 6-quart Dutch oven cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels, reserving drippings.
- Sprinkle brisket with black pepper. Brown brisket in bacon drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, turning once. Remove meat. Add celery, onion, chile pepper or sweet pepper, garlic, and a pinch of salt to the Dutch oven. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more or until celery and onion are tender. Add flour, stirring just until combined.
- Whisk in broth, beer, cilantro, and oregano. Return brisket and bacon to the Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Cover Dutch oven. Place in oven and bake for 1-1/2 hours. Turn brisket. Bake, covered, about 1-1/2 hours more or until meat is tender.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Slice the meat across the grain. Strain the cooking liquid; discard cooking liquid. Return solids to Dutch oven. Return brisket to Dutch oven. Cover to keep warm.
- Top each tortilla with about 1/3 cup of the Rice n Beans and a few brisket slices. Top mixture on tortillas with salsa and sour cream. Fold opposite edges of each tortilla up and over filling. Starting from the edge closest to you, tightly roll up tortilla to enclose filling.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Rice 'n' Beans
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion, tomato paste and cumin seed in hot oil over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in uncooked rice; cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove pan from heat. Add drained beans to saucepan. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Gently stir in cilantro.
Nutrition Facts (Beer-Braised Brisket Burritos)
- Per serving:
- 618 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 85 mg chol. ,
- 1078 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 38 g pro.