Beer-B-Cue Ale Steaks
The day before:
- Trim fat from steaks. Place steaks in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl combine ale, chili sauce, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the garlic, salt, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Pour marinade over steaks. Seal bag; turn to coat steaks. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Prepare Beer-B-Cue Sauce. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Drain steaks, discarding marinade. Transfer steaks to a storage container; cover tightly. Tote steaks and sauce in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill. For a charcoal grill, grill steaks on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 13 minutes for medium-rare (145 degrees F) or 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steaks on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Meanwhile, reheat sauce, if desired. Transfer sauce to a small disposable foil pan or camping pan. While steaks are grilling, add sauce to grill. Reheat for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve steaks with warm or chilled sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Small disposable foil pan or camping pan (optional)
- In a medium saucepan cook chopped onion in hot vegetable oil over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pale ale, chili sauce, packed brown sugar, yellow mustard, red wine vinegar Worcestershire sauce, salt, and bottled hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Beer-B-Cue Ale Steaks)
- Per serving:
- 643 kcal ,
- 37 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 18 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 122 mg chol. ,
- 1207 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 45 g pro.