Beehive Cupcake Cake
- On a cake board or other flat serving surface, arrange 13 of the cupcakes into a beehive shape, leaving a space on bottom row for an entrance (see photo). Use a small amount of Creamy White Frosting on bottom of each cupcake to secure in place.
- Spoon about two-thirds of the remaining white frosting into a medium bowl; tint with yellow food coloring. Spoon half of the remaining white frosting into another bowl; tint green for leaves. Spoon the remaining white frosting into another bowl; tint brown for tree branches. Set green and brown frostings aside.
- Spoon yellow frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round decorating tip. Starting at the top of the beehive, pipe strands of yellow frosting from side to side to cover all of the beehive shape.
- For bees, use a black food writing pen to draw stripes, eyes, and mouths onto yellow candy coating disks (make as many bees as desired). Set aside.
- Place white candy coating discs in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave according to package directions until melted; stir until smooth. Spoon melted candy coating into a small resealable plastic bag; snip off one corner of bag. For bee wings, pipe melted candy coating into m-shapes onto a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet (the wings will resemble open hearts). While the wings are still soft, gently press one of the reserved yellow candy coating bees onto each set of wings. Place in the freezer about 3 minutes or until set.
- Spoon the brown frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round decorating tip; pipe tree branches onto cake board as desired. Spoon the green frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a leaf tip; pipe leaves onto tops of the remaining five cupcakes and onto tree branches as desired.
- Remove bees from freezer. Place bees around the beehive, on the cake board, and on top of the surrounding cupcakes.
- If desired, use any remaining melted candy coating to pipe a message onto the cake board.
From the Test Kitchen
Cake board (optional) Decorating bags 1/2-inch round decorating tip Small resealable plastic bag 1/4-inch round decorating tip
Creamy White Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add about half of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar and enough of the remaining milk to reach spreading consistency.