Steak with Pan Sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat (if possible do not use a nonstick skillet). Add 1 tablespoon of the butter; reduce heat to medium. Cook steaks about 3 minutes per side or until medium rare (145 degree F). Transfer steaks to a platter; cover with foil to keep warm (steaks will continue to cook as they stand). Drain fat from skillet.
- Add wine, broth, and shallots to the hot skillet. Using a wire whisk, stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove browned bits . Continue to cook over medium heat about 3 to 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Stir in cream, then remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until butter is melted and sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Serve sauce at once over meat.
- Makes 2 servings
From the Test Kitchen
Pan Sauce Flavor Variations:
Stir in 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme, tarragon, or oregano with the shallots.
Stir in 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard with the shallots.
Stir 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar into the finished sauce.
Stir 1/2 teaspoon capers into the finished sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Steak with Pan Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 654 kcal ,
- 45 g fat
- (25 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 199 mg chol. ,
- 325 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 53 g pro.