Spiced Beef Kabobs with Mashed Carrots
- In a self-sealing plastic bag in shallow dish add soy sauce, oil, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, and red pepper. Add meat to bag. Seal and turn to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain beef mixture, discard marinade. Thread beef on 8-inch wooden* or metal skewers, leaving 1/4-inch between.
- For charcoal grill, cook skewers on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 14 minutes or until desired doneness, (160 degrees F for medium) turning occasionally and moving to cooler areas of grill if browning too quickly. (For gas grill, preheat. Reduce heat to medium. Add skewers to grill. Cover; grill as above.) Makes 4 servings.
- Serve with Mashed Carrots. Sprinkle with Lemon Gremolata.
From the Test Kitchen
* If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using.
- In medium saucepan cook carrots, covered, in small amount of boiling salted water 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to saucepan. Add lemon juice and olive oil. Mash until nearly smooth. Season to taste with black pepper.
- In small bowl combine basil, lemon peel and garlic.
Nutrition Facts (Spiced Beef Kabobs with Mashed Carrots)
- Per serving:
- 277 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 50 mg chol. ,
- 483 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.