Santa Maria-Style Ribs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Trim fat from ribs. Place ribs in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. In a small bowl combine salt, paprika, and pepper. Generously sprinkle rub mixture over all sides of ribs; rub in with your fingers. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake ribs for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Drain off fat.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips or chunks in enough water to cover. Drain wood chips.
- In a small bowl combine parsley, garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Spoon parsley mixture over ribs.
- Sprinkle wood chips over medium coals in a charcoal grill. Place ribs on the grill rack directly over the coals. Grill, covered, for 15 minutes, turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add wood chips according to manufacturer directions. Place ribs on grill rack. Cover and grill as directed above.)
- If desired, serve with Pinquito Beans and watermelon slices. Makes 6 servings.
- Rinse dry pinquito beans or pinto beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and 4 cups cold water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or omit simmering; soak beans in cold water overnight in a covered saucepan.) Drain and rinse. In the same saucepan combine beans and 4 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain beans.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble bacon. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from the skillet. Cook green onions and garlic over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, salsa, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, salt, and dry mustard. Add beans and heat through. Stir in bacon. Transfer beans to 6 coffee cups or 1 large serving bowl. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Pinquito Beans are available from www.ranchogordo.com.
Nutrition Facts per serving of beans:
(Nutrition Facts per serving of beans: 187 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 5 mg chol., 331 mg sodium, 29 g carb., 7 g dietary fiber, 10 g protein.
Nutrition Facts (Santa Maria-Style Ribs)
- Per serving:
- 258 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 72 mg chol. ,
- 1234 mg sodium ,
- 2 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.