Red and Orange Stuffed Peppers with Honey-Herb Steaks
- Soak wooden skewers in water for least 1 hour before grilling. In a medium bowl combine unheated rice (break up any clumps of rice), cherries, cilantro, 2 teaspoons of the lemon peel, the lemon juice, honey, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- Cut tops off sweet peppers; reserve tops. Cut a very thin slice from the bottom of each pepper to make a flat surface. Discard bottom slices. Carefully remove seeds and membranes from pepper cavities, keeping peppers intact. Spoon rice mixture into peppers. To help stabilize the pepper, thread peppers, open end up, onto skewers, poking 2 skewers through each pepper. Replace pepper tops.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 2 teaspoons lemon peel, the coriander seeds, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle peel mixture on steaks, rub mixture in with your fingers.
- For a charcoal grill: Arrange medium-hot coals around outside edges of grill leaving as large a space as possible in the center for the peppers. Test for medium heat in center of grill. Place peppers, top sides up, on grill rack in center of grill so that they are not over any coals. Cover and grill for 25 to 35 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender and rice mixture is heated through. During the last half of pepper grilling time, place steaks on grill rack directly over the medium-hot coals around the edge of the grill. Cover and grill to desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 10 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) and 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degrees F). For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-hot. Adjust for indirect cooking according to manufacturer's directions Cover and grill as above. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find small peppers, use two 8- to 10-ounce sweet peppers and divide the rice mixture into the two peppers. Cut peppers in half to serve.
Test Kitchen Tip:
Crush coriander or fennel seed called for in this recipe in a mortar and pestle or with the back of a spoon in the bottom of a small, sturdy bowl.
Nutrition Facts (Red and Orange Stuffed Peppers with Honey-Herb Steaks)
- Per serving:
- 407 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 83 mg chol. ,
- 811 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 36 g pro.