Individual Sicilian Meat Loaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl beat egg with a whisk. Stir in 1/4 cup of the pasta sauce, the fine dry bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well.
- Cut mozzarella cheese into four logs, each measuring approximately 2-1/4x3/4x1/2 inches. Wrap a slice of prosciutto or ham around each cheese log. Shape one-fourth of the ground beef mixture around each cheese log to form a loaf. Flatten each meat loaf to 1-1/2 inch thickness. Place the four meat loaves in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake loaves about 20 minutes or until meat is done (160 degrees F).*
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a small saucepan heat remaining pasta sauce over medium heat until bubbly.
- Arrange meat loaves over hot cooked pasta. Spoon sauce over top. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
The internal color of a meat loaf is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef or pork loaf cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meat loaf, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the loaf.
Nutrition Facts (Individual Sicilian Meat Loaves)
- Per serving:
- 631 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 173 mg chol. ,
- 1132 mg sodium ,
- 55 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 31 g pro.