Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
- Trim fat from steak. Score steak on both sides by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals in a diamond pattern. Place meat in a self-sealing bag set in a shallow dish; set aside. In a small bowl stir together the vinegar, garlic, mustard, cilantro, and red pepper until well combined. Pour over meat in bag. Seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Drain meat, discarding marinade.
- Place meat on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 17 to 21 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 145 degree F for medium-rare doneness or 160 degree F for medium doneness. (Or, preheat gas grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place meat on rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Thinly slice meat against the grain to serve. Wrap and chill half of the steak up to 3 days.
- Serve remaining steak in flour tortillas with the lettuce, Sweet Pepper Salsa, Artichoke-Bean Spread, and Quick Steak Sauce. Makes 4 servings.
- In a medium bowl, toss together green and/or yellow sweet peppers, serrano pepper, jicama, red onion, fresh cilantro, red wine vinegar and salt. Cover and chill. Makes about 2-1/2 cups (reserve 1 cup for the salad). Each serving: 12 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 59 mg sodium, 3 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 0 g pro. Daily Values: 4% vit A, 34% vit. C, 0% calcium, 1% iron.
Quick Steak Sauce
- In a blender combine red wine vinegar, chopped onion, raisins, tomato paste, molasses, packed brown sugar, soy sauce and pepper. Cover and blend until nearly smooth. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week. Makes about 3/4 cup. Each serving: 98 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 321 mg sodium, 22 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 2 g pro. Daily Values: 0% vit A, 6% vit. C, 3% calcium, 6% iron.
- Drain marinated artichoke hearts reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes and set aside. In a food processor combine the marinade from artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans, green onion, shredded lemon peel; cover and process until smooth. Stir in artichokes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill up to 3 days. Makes about 2 cups. Each serving: 66 cal., 2 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 305 mg sodium, 10 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 3 g pro. Daily Values: 0% vit A, 10% vit. C, 2% calcium, 4% iron.
From the Test Kitchen
If you dont have a food processor, mash garbanzo beans with a potato masher, gradually adding the artichoke marinade. Stir in sliced green onion, lemon peel, and artichokes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Marinated Flank Steak)
- Per serving:
- 271 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 270 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.