Grilled Burgers Italiano
- Combine egg and 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce in a large bowl. Stir in bread crumbs, onion, basil or oregano, and garlic. Add beef and sausage; mix well. Shape meat mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Tear off a 12x18-inch piece of heavy foil. Place pepper strips in center of foil; drizzle with oil. Bring up two opposite edges of foil; seal with a double fold. Then fold in remaining ends to enclose the peppers, leaving space for steam to build.
- Grill burgers and foil packet on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in side of burgers registers 160 degrees F. and peppers are tender, turning burgers and foil packet once halfway through grilling time.
- Top each burger with some of the pepper strips and a half slice of cheese; cover and grill about 15 seconds more or until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 cup spaghetti sauce. To serve, place burgers on rolls. Spoon spaghetti sauce over burgers. Pass any remaining sauce. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Make it a meal with corn on the cob and deli three-bean salad.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Burgers Italiano)
- Per serving:
- 540 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 106 mg chol. ,
- 995 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 31 g pro.