Grilled Beef and Avocado Pitas
- Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- In a screw-top jar, combine salad dressing, lime peel, lime juice, and cilantro. Cover and shake well. Pour half of the salad dressing mixture into a small bowl and add onion; cover and chill until serving time. Pour the remaining salad dressing mixture in jar over steak in bag. Seal bag; turn to coat steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. For a charcoal grill, grill steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 17 to 21 minutes for medium doneness (160 degrees F), turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steak on grill rack. Cover and grill as above.)
- To serve, thinly slice beef across grain. In a large bowl toss together beef, salad greens, red pepper, avocado, and reserve dressing mixture. Fill each pita half with beef mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Or place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 15 to 18 minutes for medium doneness (160 degrees F), turning once.
Use any leftover grilled beef for individual taco salads. Layer fresh greens, black beans, chopped tomatoes, grilled beef, light shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, and light sour cream.
Cost-Saving Tip: Instead of using a package of mixed greens, but fresh lettuces and make smaller bags of your own spring mixes.
Convenience Tip: These yummy pitas can easily be rolled up in to a wrap or even just eaten as a salad to cut more calories.
Substitution Tip: Switch out lime peel and juice for lemon peel and just for a different, but just as tasty, citrus flavor.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Beef and Avocado Pitas)
- Per serving:
- 254 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 425 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.