Cowboy Chuck Roast with Onion Gravy
- Trim fat from beef. Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper. In a 5-quart Dutch oven brown beef on all sides in hot oil. Remove beef from Dutch oven and set aside.
- In same Dutch oven cook onions over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or just until edges begin to brown. Stir in garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Place beef on onion mixture. Add coffee, tomatoes, and mole sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Divide cooked beef and sauce into 4 portions in airtight freezer containers. Let cool 30 minutes before covering. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw and use to make Ranchero Beef Hash, or other recipes.
From the Test Kitchen
Thaw 1- and 2-serving size portions overnight in refrigerator; thaw 4-serving size portion 36 hours in refrigerator. Or, microwave on 30% power (medium-low); cook 1 serving 6 to 8 minutes, stirring and breaking up twice; cook 2 servings 12 to 14 minutes, stirring and breaking up twice; cook 4 servings 15 minutes; let rest 10 minutes, stir and break up; microcook 10 minutes more.
Reheat thawed meat and sauce in microwave oven on 70% power (medium-high). Cook 1 serving for 2 to 4 minutes, stirring once; cook 2 servings for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring once; cook 4 servings for 8 to 10 minutes; stirring once. Or, reheat in saucepan over medium heat, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally. Makes four 2-serving portions.
Nutrition Facts (Cowboy Chuck Roast with Onion Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 255 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 729 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.