Beef Tenderloin with Port Sauce
- Unfold puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry to eliminate crease. With a small cookie cutter or hors doeuvre cutter, cut 16 small shapes out of the puff pastry. Transfer pastry shapes to an ungreased baking sheet. Brush shapes with egg white. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until golden brown and flaky. Cool. If desired, tightly cover and store at room temperature for up to 12 hours.
- If tenderloin is long and thin, fold narrow ends under and tie. If tenderloin is flat and wide, tie crosswise in 2 or 3 places to form a rounder shape. (The tenderloin should be about 8x4-1/2 inches after tying.) Place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer.
- Roast tenderloin, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven about 45 minutes or until desired doneness (140 degree F for medium rare). Let stand, covered, about 10 minutes before slicing. (Meat temperature should rise about 5 degree F while standing.)
- Meanwhile, for port sauce, in a medium saucepan combine the beef broth, tawny port or red wine, shallot or onion, dried rosemary, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. (You should have about 1-1/3 cups sauce after simmering.) Discard the bay leaf.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the margarine or butter and flour. Stir into the wine mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- To serve, place tenderloin pieces on dinner plates. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the port sauce over each. Garnish each serving with 2 pastry puffs. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make sauce ahead:
Prepare and simmer sauce as directed above, but do not add margarine-flour mixture. Cool. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Before serving, return to a medium saucepan and heat through. Continue by stirring together margarine or butter and flour and thickening sauce as directed above.
Nutrition Facts (Beef Tenderloin with Port Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 465 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 106 mg chol. ,
- 424 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 39 g pro.