- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
- Sprinkle Davis Dry Rub evenly over brisket; rub in with your fingers. Cut a sheet of foil slightly larger than the brisket. Poke several holes in the foil. Place brisket on foil.
- In a smoker, arrange preheated coals, about half the drained wood chunks, and a water pan according to the manufacturers directions. Pour hot water into pan. Place brisket and foil on the grill rack over water pan. Cover; smoke for 5 to 6 hours or until brisket is tender. Test tenderness by inserting fork into center of brisket and twisting. When fork twists easily, brisket is ready. Add additional coals, wood chunks, and water as needed. (Do not add wood after the first 2 hours of smoking. Too much smoke makes meat bitter.)
- Remove brisket from smoker. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat Brisket Barbecue Sauce in a saucepan over low heat. To serve brisket, trim away crusty outer layer; serve separately. Thinly slice brisket across the grain. Serve with Brisket Barbecue Sauce on the side. Makes 12 (4-1/4-ounce) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Charcoal Grill Instructions:
At least 1 hour before grilling, soak 6 to 8 wood chunks in enough water to cover. Prepare grill for indirect grilling; arrange lit coals around a drip pan. Fill drip pan with hot water. Add half the wood chunks to coals. Place brisket and foil on grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill for 2-1/2 hours. Turn brisket and continue grilling for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until brisket is tender. Add additional coals and wood as needed to maintain temperature and smoke. (Do not add additional wood after the first 2 hours of grilling. Too much smoke gives food a bitter flavor.) Test by inserting fork into center of brisket and twisting. When fork twists easily, brisket is ready. Serve as directed above.
Gas Grill Instructions:
Be sure to begin with a full tank of propane. Adjust heat for indirect cooking over medium-low heat. Add soaked wood chunks according to manufacturers directions. Or wrap in foil and add to grill.* Place a small can or pan of hot water on the side of the grill rack over a lit burner. Place brisket, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; set pan on grill rack over the unlit burner. Cover and grill for 2-1/2 hours or until brisket is very dark brown. Wrap brisket in foil, return to grill directly on grill rack. Cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours more or until tender. Serve as directed above.
For 25 servings:
Double the recipe for both Davis Dry Rub and Brisket Barbecue Sauce and use two 5- to 5-1/2 pound fresh beef briskets. Prepare each brisket as directed above. Wrap each in heavy foil after slicing; refrigerate up to 2 days.
For 50 servings:
Quadruple the recipe for both Davis Dry Rub and Brisket Barbecue Sauce and use four 5- to 5-1/2-pound fresh beef briskets. Prepare briskets as directed above, smoking two at a time. Wrap each in heavy foil after slicing; refrigerate up to 2 days.
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make a foil packet for smoking on a gas grill, place half the soaked wood chunks in the center of a 1218-inch sheet of heavy foil. Bring up two opposite edges of foil and make a pouch with a opening in the top of packet for smoke to escape. Repeat with remaining wood and a second sheet of foil. Place packets directly over heat on lava rocks, ceramic briquettes, or grates above the burner.
Test Kitchen Tip:
To reheat on a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around the edge of the grill. Test for medium heat in the center of the grill. Place chilled brisket packets in the center of the grill rack, not over the heat. Cover and grill for 30 minutes or until heated through. For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above. Packets also can be reheated in a 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
Davis Dry Rub
- In a small bowl stir together paprika, black pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cayenne pepper. Transfer to a small airtight container or bag. Store at room temperature up to 6 months.
Nutrition Facts (Beef Brisket)
- Per serving:
- 423 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 145 mg chol. ,
- 1249 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 51 g pro.