Beef Brisket with Spicy Gravy
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut brisket to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl combine the 2 cups water, catsup, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, cinnamon, garlic, and pepper. Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5-1/2 hours.
- Remove meat; keep warm. Pour cooking liquid into a glass measuring cup. Skim fat. Measure 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid; set aside (discard remaining liquid). For gravy, in a small saucepan stir the 1/4 cup cold water into the flour. Stir in the 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Slice meat thinly across the grain. Serve with the hot gravy. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To freeze, transfer 3/4 cup of the liquid to a moisture and vapor-proof container. Cool slightly. Seal, label, and freeze up to 6 months. Transfer half of the beef to a moisture- and vapor-proof container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 6 months. To serve, thaw meat and cooking liquid. Warm meat in a covered baking dish in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes. For gravy, in a small saucepan stir together the 3/4 cup cooking liquid, 1/4 cup cold water, and 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Beef Brisket with Spicy Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 247 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 76 mg chol. ,
- 338 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.