- Cook 3/4 cup chopped onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in tomatoes; tomato sauce; bay leaf; basil; oregano; fennel seed, if desired; sugar; and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.*
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine 1-1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and the salt. Add warm water and 2 tablespoons oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease two 11- to 13-inch pizza pans or baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough into a circle 1 inch larger than pizza pan. Transfer dough to pans. Build up edges slightly. Prick generously with a fork. Do not let rise. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef and the 1 cup chopped onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Spread pizza sauce over hot crusts. Sprinkle with ground beef mixture. Top with tomato slices and bacon pieces. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake about 12 minutes more or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly. Makes 8 servings.
- Prepare pizza sauce; cool. Transfer to freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, substitute one 15-oz. can or 15 1/2-oz. jar pizza sauce for the homemade sauce.
Prepare pizza dough; divide into 2 equal portions. Place in plastic freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.
Nutrition Facts (Bacon-Cheeseburger Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 543 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 84 mg chol. ,
- 697 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 29 g pro.