- Rinse and drain beans. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven combine beans and 8 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans and water in Dutch oven. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
- In the Dutch oven cook bacon and onions until bacon is crisp. Drain off fat. Add the beans and 6 cups fresh water to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the catsup, molasses, mustard, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes more or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Makes 10 ( 2/3 cup) to 12 servings.
- Prepare as above, doubling amounts of all ingredients. Soak beans in 12 cups water in an 8- to 10-quart pot. Cook half the onions and bacon at a time. Cook the beans as above, except stir in 10 cups of water in Step 2. Cook, uncovered, in Step 3 for 1 to 1-1/4 hours, stirring frequently.
- Prepare the 25-serving recipe twice (do not double the recipe).
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
To reheat, cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Pan-Baked Beans)
- Per serving:
- 429 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 788 mg sodium ,
- 62 g carb. ,
- 12 g fiber ,
- 26 g sugar ,
- 16 g pro.