BBQ Chicken with Chaatpati Chutney
- Preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium heat. Lightly season chicken with canola oil, 2 tsp. kosher salt, and black pepper. Using a paring knife, make two slits in the meatiest part of each piece, which will help it to better absorb the sauce.
- In a 2-qt. saucepan bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the dates, tamarind concentrate, cumin, coriander, cayenne, and 2 tsp. kosher salt; gently boil over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon and mashing dates to create a thick pulpy mixture. Begin checking consistency at 30 minutes. (The finished chutney should look like a loose jam or thick barbecue sauce, and it will cook 30 to 50 minutes total.)
- Meanwhile, grill chicken on rack of covered grill over indirect heat 35 to 45 minutes or until 175 degrees F for wings, legs, and thighs, or 50 to 60 minutes or until 170 degrees F for breasts. Brush with chutney; move chicken over direct heat and grill 1 to 2 minutes more or until chicken is lightly charred, turning frequently.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Serve topped with fresh curry leaves, if desired. Pass the remaining chutney.
Test Kitchen Tip
Look for fresh curry leaves at Asian markets or online.
Nutrition Facts (BBQ Chicken with Chaatpati Chutney)
- Per serving:
- 502 kcal ,
- 32 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 153 mg chol. ,
- 730 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 39 g pro.