Five-Spice Pear Pie Bars By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on September 5, 2017 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Kritsada Panichgul Prep Time: 40 mins Bake Time: 45 mins Total Time: 40 mins Yield: 32 bars Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 3 cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoon sugar ½ teaspoon salt ½ cup shortening ½ cup cold butter Water 2 egg yolks, beaten ⅓ cup milk 6 cup peeled, cored, and thinly sliced ripe pears (about 2 1/4 pounds) 1 cup sugar 1 cup crushed cornflakes 1 teaspoon five-spice powder 1 egg white, beaten 1 recipe Orange Icing Orange Icing 1 ½ cup powdered sugar 1 ½ teaspoon finely shredded orange peel 2 tablespoon orange juice Directions For pastry, in a large bowl combine flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and milk. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture, tossing with a fork to moisten. Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons water over the mixture, gently tossing until all of the mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry into two portions, making one portion slightly larger than the other. Wrap and chill until needed. For filling, in an extra-large bowl combine pears, the 1 cup sugar, the cornflakes, and the 1 teaspoon five-spice powder. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to pat the larger portion of pastry into the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spoon filling evenly into pastry-lined pan. Roll the remaining pastry portion between two sheets of parchment or waxed paper to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Carefully peel off top sheet of paper. Invert rectangle, pastry side down, over the filling. Carefully peel off remaining paper. Using damp fingers, press edges of the two rectangles together. Cut a few slits in the top pastry; brush lightly with egg white. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until pastry is golden, fruit is tender, and filling is bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Drizzle with Orange Icing. Let stand until icing is set. Cut into bars. Orange Icing In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, orange peel, and enough orange juice to make icing a drizzling consistency. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 179 Calories 6g Fat 29g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 179 % Daily Value * Total Fat 6g 8% Saturated Fat 3g 15% Cholesterol 21mg 7% Sodium 81mg 4% Total Carbohydrate 29g 11% Total Sugars 16g Protein 2g Vitamin C 1.2mg 6% Calcium 10.1mg 1% Iron 1.1mg 6% Potassium 62mg 1% Folate, total 28.2mcg Vitamin B-12 0.1mcg Vitamin B-6 0.1mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.