Baked Ham with Sauteed Pears and Apples
- For glaze, in a large saucepan stir together the water, sugar, honey, and curry paste. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Boil gently, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for fruit, in a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Add pears and ginger. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until pears begin to brown, gently stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Add apples to skillet; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until apples begin to brown, gently stirring occasionally. Combine apples with pears. Cool. (To serve today, omit Step 3 and continue as directed in Steps 4 and 5.)
- Place glaze and fruit in separate airtight containers. Chill for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large saucepan reheat glaze just until bubbly. Remove 1/2 cup of the glaze; set remaining glaze aside. Place ham on the rack of a roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of ham. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hours or until thermometer registers 140 degrees F. Brush ham with reserved 1/2 cup glaze during the last 20 minutes of baking.
- Just before serving, in a large skillet cook and stir fruit over medium heat just until heated through. To serve, arrange fruit on serving platter. Slice ham and arrange on platter with fruit. Drizzle ham and fruit with the remaining glaze. If desired, garnish with thyme sprigs.
From the Test Kitchen
low cal crowd quick
Nutrition Facts (Baked Ham with Sauteed Pears and Apples)
- Per serving:
- 343 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 82 mg chol. ,
- 930 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.