Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray. Set aside. Cut eggplant crosswise into eight (about 3/4-inch-thick) slices, discarding small ends. Place slices on a double layer of paper towels. Sprinkle all sides of eggplant with the salt. Let stand about 30 minutes or until liquid is visible on the surface. Rinse salt and liquid off eggplant slices; pat dry with paper towels.
- Place egg whites in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish combine panko, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, basil, and oregano.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, then in panko mixture, turning to coat both sides of each slice. Place coated slices on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle eggplant slices with some of the remaining panko mixture, if present; discard the remaining. Lightly coat tops of coated eggplant slices with cooking spray.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Carefully turn eggplant slices. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes more or until lightly browned and eggplant is tender.
- Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the pasta sauce onto each eggplant slice. Divide shredded cheese evenly among eggplant slices. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until cheese is lightly browned.
From the Test Kitchen
Typical Eggplant Parmesan: 850 calories, 35 g fat (Olive Garden)
Nutrition Facts (Baked Eggplant Parmesan)
- Per serving:
- 279 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 513 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 16 g pro.