Baked Delicata Egg Cups with Crispy Herbed Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In an 8- or 9-inch cast-iron or oven-going skillet heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium. Add garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove garlic; finely chop. Add bread crumbs to skillet; cook 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in chopped garlic, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper; let cool. Stir in cheese and parsley.
- Cut squash into four 1 3/4- to 2-inch- thick rings. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out seeds and flesh to create a 11/2- to 2-inch-diameter hole.
- Wipe skillet. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add squash, turning to coat with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt. Bake 15 minutes; turn squash. Crack an egg into a small cup or bowl; slide into a squash ring. Repeat with remaining eggs. Sprinkle eggs with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Bake 10 to 12 minutes more or until whites are set. Top with bread crumb mixture. If desired, serve with hot sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
To make fresh bread crumbs, add 1 slice bread to a food processor; pulse.
Nutrition Facts (Baked Delicata Egg Cups with Crispy Herbed Crumbs)
- Per serving:
- 218 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 190 mg chol. ,
- 629 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.
marygallo64 55 Days Ago
The squash was very bland. We like acorn or butternut better, but it was VERY filling. I ate one and split a second with my husband and we were done. The squash needed to be salted and peppered with every step, which I neglected to do because I am on a no salt diet. I baked first side for 20 mins bcs it was not fork tender. Then I turned over and baked for 5 minutes, then dropped eggs, cooked for 10 minutes, then put bread crumb topping on and cooked for 2 more minutes. But the eggs were nice and runny, the whites cooked until set I used eggs from my hens so they were at room temperature before cooking.
lbarker122 68 Days Ago
Very tasty! I like the garluc cooked whole and then chopped.