- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook ground meat substitute, green onions, fennel seeds, and crushed red pepper over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, pasta sauce, and spinach; stir until spinach wilts. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Stir in the cooked pasta.
- Spoon into a 3-quart casserole. Cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until cheese is lightly browned.
From the Test Kitchen
This recipe has added heat from crushed red pepper and fire-roasted diced tomatoes. If you want to take the heat down a notch, reduce the crushed red pepper or use regular canned diced tomatoes.
For larger servings in individual dishes, prepare as directed through Step 2. Divide pasta mixture among six 14- to 18-ounce individual baking dishes. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake about 10 minutes more or until cheese is lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: 368 cal., 29 g pro., 52 g carbo., 8 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 15 mg chol., 8 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 1,100 mg sodium. Daily Values: 75% vit. A, 54% vit. C, 37% calcium, 29% iron.
Nutrition Facts (Baked Cavatelli)
- Per serving:
- 221 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 660 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.