Baked Brie en Croute
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet; set aside. Unfold pastry onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16x10-inch rectangle. Cut into two 8-inch circles; reserve trimmings.
- Spread jelly over top of each cheese round. Sprinkle with nuts; lightly press nuts into jelly.
- Combine egg and water; set aside. Place pastry circles over cheese rounds. Invert cheese and pastry. Brush edges of circles with a little of the egg mixture. Bring edges of pastry up and over cheese rounds, pleating and pinching edges to cover and seal. Trim excess pastry. Place rounds, smooth sides up, on prepared baking sheet. Brush egg mixture over tops and sides. Cut small slits for steam to escape. Using hors d'oeuvre cutters, cut shapes from reserved pastry. Brush shapes with egg mixture; place on top of rounds.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is deep golden brown. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes before serving. Serve with apple and/or pear slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Baked Brie with Apricots and Almonds:
Prepare as above, except substitute 2 tablespoons apricot preserves for the jelly and substitute 1/2 cup chopped almonds and 1/3 cup finely snipped dried apricots for the 2 tablespoons chopped nuts.
Nutrition Facts (Baked Brie en Croute)
- Per serving:
- 207 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 39 mg chol. ,
- 192 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.