- Preheat broiler. Scrub oysters under cold running water. Using an oyster knife, remove oysters from shells. Drain oysters, reserving liquid. Thoroughly wash shells. Place oysters in deep halves of shells. In a shallow baking pan arrange filled shells on a bed of coarse rock salt (or steady shells in pan with crumpled foil).
- Remove 1/2 tsp. zest and squeeze 2 Tbsp. juice from lime. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl combine reserved oyster liquid, lime zest and juice, onion mixture, and piquin peppers. Spoon onto oysters.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes or until edges of oysters start to curl. Serve with lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Oysters with Tarragon Pequin Mignonette
Prepare as directed in Step 1 and omit the remaining ingredients. In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup each finely chopped shallots and red wine vinegar; 2 dried pequin chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped;* and 1 tsp. snipped fresh tarragon. Broil oysters as directed. Drizzle with tarragon mixture. (stylist: you may want to add a little oil to the mixture if it's too harsh with just the vinegar)
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 85 calories, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g total fat, 0 g total sugar, 6% Vitamin A, 14% Vitamin C
Oysters with Mexican Ponzu and Avocado
Prepare as directed in Step 1 and omit the remaining ingredients. In a small saucepan combine 1 cup chopped tomato, 1 Tbsp. each ponzu sauce and lime juice, and 1 clove garlic, minced. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes or until desired consistency. Spoon onto oysters and broil as directed. Serve with 1 chopped avocado and sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves and lime zest.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 104 calories, 4 g total fat, 1 g fiber, 0 g total sugar, 8% Vitamin A, 20% Vitamin C, 136 mg sodium
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Baja-Style Oysters)
- Per serving:
- 98 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 50 mg chol. ,
- 107 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.