Bacon Cheeseburgers with Kentucky Bourbon Sauce
- Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a heavy medium saucepan warm the oil over medium heat. Add the bacon strips and cook until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain and cool, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Add the onion to the saucepan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until soft and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the bourbon, increase the heat to medium-high, and boil to reduce slightly, about 1 minute. Add the next eight ingredients (through the hot pepper sauce) and bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the mixture thickens and is reduced to about 2 cups, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and stir in the cooked bacon. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet cook the 8 bacon slices over medium heat until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Mix the ground chuck, salt, and pepper and gently form four patties of equal size, each about 3/4-inch thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in the center of the patties to prevent them from forming a dome as they cook. Chill until ready to grill.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (about 400 degrees F). Drain and add the wood chips to the charcoal or to the smoker box of a gas grill, following manufacturer's directions, and close the lid. When smoke appears, grill the patties over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to medium doneness (160 degrees F), 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. During the last minute of grilling time, place one-fourth of the cheese on each patty to melt, and toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat.
- Build each burger on a bun with lettuce, tomato, bacon slices, and sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except omit sauce, bacon, and cheese. Serve burger in bun with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, and sliced red onion. Nutrition facts per serving: 589 cal; 38g total fat (14g sat fat); 122mg chol; 842mg sodium; 24g carb; 2g fiber; 5 g sugar; 34g pro
Nutrition Facts (Bacon Cheeseburgers with Kentucky Bourbon Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 1010 kcal ,
- 61 g fat
- (23 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 24 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 177 mg chol. ,
- 2152 mg sodium ,
- 57 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 31 g sugar ,
- 49 g pro.