Bacon and Tomato Khachapuri (Egg and Cheese Bread)
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan stir together the milk, butter, 1 tablespoon of the oil, water, sugar, and salt. Heat and stir over medium heat until warm and butter almost melts (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F). Add to flour mixture. Beat with a mixer on low until combined. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon. Transfer dough to a floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Transfer dough to a large greased bowl. Turn dough to grease surface. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours or until double in size.
- Punch dough down. Transfer to the floured surface. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine mozzarella, feta, goat cheese, and bacon; cover and chill until needed. Grease a large baking sheet; set aside. Pat and stretch each piece of dough to a 7x5-inch oval about 1/4-inch thick. Place on prepared baking sheet. Divide cheese mixture among the 4 dough pieces, leaving about a 1/2-inch border. Roll the long sides of the ovals towards the cheese creating a border. Pinch and twist the ends.
- Cover loosely and let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush edges of bread with egg wash. Gently make a well in the center of the cheese mound on each bread oval. One at a time, crack an egg into a custard cup then carefully slip into each indent. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bread is golden brown and yolks are thickened. Remove to a wire rack. Top each with a piece of butter, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine tomatoes, shallot, 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Top bread boats with tomato salad and chives. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Use frozen bread dough:
Thaw and rise 1 1-pound loaf of frozen white bread dough according to package directions. Continue as directed in step 2.
Nutrition Facts (Bacon and Tomato Khachapuri (Egg and Cheese Bread))
- Per serving:
- 727 kcal ,
- 40 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 15 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 215 mg chol. ,
- 1266 mg sodium ,
- 58 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 32 g pro.