Bacon and Cracked Black Pepper Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Finely chop three slices of the bacon. Cut remaining bacon slices into quarters; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the finely chopped bacon. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set mixture aside. In a small bowl combine half-and-half and egg. Add all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 2-inch round cutter; reroll scraps as necessary and dip cutter into flour between cuts.
- Arrange dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly.
- To serve, split each biscuit. Spread bottoms of each biscuit with mayonnaise. Top with a tomato slice, a lettuce leaf, and two bacon pieces. Add biscuit tops.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through Step 2. Arrange dough rounds on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and freeze for several hours or until completely frozen. Transfer dough rounds to a large resealable plastic bag or airtight freezer container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, arrange dough rounds on an ungreased large baking sheet. Cover and let stand at room temperature about 1 hour or until thawed. Bake as directed above in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Bacon and Cracked Black Pepper Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 321 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 564 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.