Baby Beet and Flank Steak Salad Dijon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Tightly wrap beets in foil, wrapping each color separately. Roast beets for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until tender; cool. Peel beets; cut into 1/4-inch slices. Chill beets until needed.
- Meanwhile, trim fat from meat. Score both sides of meat in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Sprinkle meat with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the mustard and the honey; spread over meat.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place meat on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 17 to 21 minutes for medium (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. Remove from grill; cool. Cut meat across the grain into 1/4-inch slices; halve or quarter long slices.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine shallots, oil, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining 3 tablespoons mustard. Cover and shake well.
- To serve, arrange meat and beet slices on chilled dinner plates. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
To Serve Salad on Bread:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush both sides of six 1/4-inch slices French bread with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden, turning once. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with some of the dressing. Top with meat and beet slices; drizzle with the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 469 calories, 31 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 21 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 13 g total sugar, 6% Vitamin A, 15% Vitamin C, 872 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 25% iron
To Serve Salad on Oranges:
Peel and section 6 oranges over a bowl, reserving the juice. Arrange orange sections on chilled dinner plates. Top with meat and beet slices; drizzle with the reserved orange juice and the dressing. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 362 calories, 27 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 21 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 95% Vitamin C, 644 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 18% iron
Nutrition Facts (Baby Beet and Flank Steak Salad Dijon)
- Per serving:
- 319 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 68 mg chol. ,
- 643 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.