Avocado, Prosciutto, and Egg Sandwiches
- For poached eggs, fill a large skillet with water to a depth of 1/2 inch. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to simmering. Break an egg into a cup and slip egg into the simmering water. Repeat with the remaining eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space in the water-vinegar mixture. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using the edge of a metal spatula, separate the eggs. Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs; set eggs aside. Discard liquid and dry skillet; set skillet aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, wasabi paste, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In the same skillet cook the prosciutto over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove prosciutto from skillet.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer avocado, prosciutto, poached eggs, and sprouts on four of the toasted bread slices. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on one side of each of the remaining four bread slices; add to sandwiches, mayonnaise sides down.
From the Test Kitchen
Because sprouts are grown in warm, humid conditions where bacteria can quickly multiply, sprouts have the potential of causing illness when eaten raw.
Nutrition Facts (Avocado, Prosciutto, and Egg Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 433 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 221 mg chol. ,
- 1093 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.