Taco Pie with Avocado Pie Crust
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and avocado until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
- Rim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degrees F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 6 to 8 minutes more or until crust is golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling. In a large skillet cook beef and poblano pepper over medium-high heat until meat is browned. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in green onions.
- Spoon filling into hot baked pastry shell. Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Top with desired toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.