Avocado and Tomatillo Sandwiches with Pesto
- Place bread slices on a cutting board. Spread slices evenly with the Herb Pesto. Arrange Pickled Red Onions evenly over two slices. Layer the spinach, half of the tomatillos, the avocado, cheese, the remaining tomatillos, cucumbers, and lettuce over onions. Top with the remaining two slices bread, pesto side down.
- Wrap sandwiches tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Try this sandwich stuffed in whole wheat pita bread, between split sandwich thins, or in whole grain foldable flatbreads.
Always pack your lunch in a cooler or insulated container, if possible. Keep food cold by including freezer packs, a sealed bag with ice, or a frozen beverage. Once you arrive at your destination, store food in a cool place. If possible, keep it in a refrigerator. If no refrigerator is available, store the lunch out of the sun and away from heat.
Pickled Red Onions
- In a medium bowl combine vinegar, sugar, and salt, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in onion. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Chill for longer storage (up to 3 days). Drain before using.
- In a food processor or blender combine basil, almonds, parsley, tarragon, and garlic. Process until herbs are finely chopped. Add oil, pepper, and salt; process to a coarse puree. Transfer pesto to a small bowl and press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pesto. Chill. May be made up to 1 week ahead.
Nutrition Facts (Avocado and Tomatillo Sandwiches with Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 302 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 375 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 12 g pro.