Asparagus with Tarragon Sauce
- Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. If desired, scrape off scales.
- For tarragon sauce, in a small saucepan melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add shallot; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in the 2 tablespoons tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice. Heat through, stirring frequently. Cover and keep warm.
- In a medium skillet heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; add prosciutto. Cook about 2 to 4 minutes or until just crisp and golden, turning once halfway through cooking time. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Transfer asparagus to a serving platter. Drizzle with the tarragon sauce. Sprinkle with prosciutto and chopped eggs. Sprinkle with additional snipped fresh tarragon, salt, and pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Make hard-cooked eggs and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Prepare tarragon sauce as directed in Step 2. Transfer to an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 2 days. To serve, reheat sauce in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Asparagus with Tarragon Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 163 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 86 mg chol. ,
- 702 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.