Asian Beef Shanks and Vegetables
- Sprinkle meat with 1/4 tsp. of the salt and the black pepper. In an extra-large skillet* heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat, half at a time, and cook until browned. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to a 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic. In a small bowl combine next seven ingredients (through dried peppers) and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours for shanks (10 to 12 hours for ribs) or high 4 to 5 hours for shanks (5 to 6 hours for ribs). If using low, turn to high. Stir in bok choy. Cover and cook 30 minutes more.
- Remove and discard bones. Serve mixture over rice.
From the Test Kitchen
If using a slow cooker with a saute function, omit skillet. Heat oil in cooker on saute setting. Add meat, half at a time, and cook until browned. Drain off fat. Continue as directed in Step 2.
Use a 6-qt. electric or stove-top pressure cooker. For electric cooker, use saute setting to brown meat; for stove-top cooker, brown meat directly in the pot. Drain off fat. Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic. Omitting tapioca, stir in next six ingredients (through dried peppers) and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Lock lid in place. Set electric cooker on high pressure to cook 30 minutes. For stove-top cooker, bring up to pressure over medium-high heat according to manufacturer's directions; reduce heat enough to maintain steady (but not excessive) pressure. Cook 30 minutes. Remove from heat. For electric and stove-top models, let stand to release pressure naturally, at least 15 minutes, or according to manufacturer's directions. If necessary, carefully open steam vent to release any remaining pressure. Open lid carefully. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables, discarding bones. For sauce, combine 1 Tbsp. each cornstarch and cold water; stir into cooking liquid. For electric cooker, heat to simmering on saute setting; for stove-top cooker, bring to simmering over medium heat. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add bok choy. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Combine meat mixture and sauce and serve over rice.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above, except 484 calories, 45 g carbohydrate
Nutrition Facts (Asian Beef Shanks and Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 496 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 78 mg chol. ,
- 861 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 51 g pro.