Apple Spice Streusel Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan or 9-inch square baking pan. Prepare Spice Streusel. For filling, in a large skillet cook apples in 2 Tbsp. hot butter over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the brown sugar and simmer, uncovered, 30 to 60 seconds or until any juices are thickened.
- In a medium bowl combine the next five ingredients (through salt). Add the 1/4 cup melted butter and toss with fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add egg, buttermilk, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy)
- Spread 1 cup of the batter into prepared pan. Gently spoon apple filling over batter. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the Spice Streusel. Drop remaining batter in small mounds onto filling. Sprinkle with remaining Spice Streusel.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 30 minutes. If desired, drizzle with Apple Spice Icing. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
For 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup total. Let stand 5 minutes before using.
Apple Spice Icing
- In a bowl combine powdered sugar and apple pie spice. Stir in just enough apple juice, apple cider, or milk to make drizzling consistency.
- In a bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Drizzle mixture with melted butter and vanilla; toss with a fork to combine.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Spice Streusel Cake)
- Per serving:
- 371 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 272 mg sodium ,
- 57 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.