Apple Pie Fries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Add the club soda and whisk until the batter is smooth and the consistency of heavy cream. If the batter gets noticeably thicker as it sits, add an ice cube and stir (do not let ice cube sit and melt.)
- Peel and core apples and cut into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. Pat dry with paper towels before dipping in the batter.
- Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a medium saucepan. Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels.
- Working in batches, drop about 8 sticks into the batter; stir gently to coat. Using chopsticks or a fork, lift apples from the batter, allowing the excess batter to drip back into the bowl. Carefully add to the hot oil, being sure not to crowd the pan. Fry, turning occasionally, until lightly golden on both sides, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or strainer, lift the apple fries from the pan, letting the excess oil drip back into the pan. Transfer to paper towels. Keep in the oven while frying remaining batches. Return oil to 350 degrees F between batches.
- Dust apple fries with Powdered Cinnamon Sugar. Serve with Powdered Sugar Icing.
From the Test Kitchen
Powdered Cinnamon Sugar
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Pie Fries)
- Per serving:
- 352 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 16 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 435 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 18 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.