Apple Pie Coffee Cake
- For filling, in a medium saucepan bring apples and the water to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until apples are tender. In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir into apple mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture.
- In a small bowl combine egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Spread half of the batter in an 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Spoon and gently spread filling over batter in pan. Drop the remaining batter in small mounds on top of filling.
- In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over coffee cake. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cover coffee cake tightly with heavy foil and freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw, covered, in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Bake, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until warm.
From the Test Kitchen
To make a larger coffee cake, double the recipe and use a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Freeze and reheat as directed, baking for 10 to 15 minutes or until warm.
To make 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Pie Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 298 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 44 mg chol. ,
- 126 mg sodium ,
- 52 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 31 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.