Apple Pie Chimichangas
- In a large, deep skillet heat about 1/2-inch of oil over medium-high heat to 365 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish combine sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the apple pie filling onto the bottom-third of the tortilla. Fold both sides in and roll up like a burrito. Secure with wooden toothpicks.*
- Fry chimichangas, two at a time, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll warm chimichangas in sugar mixture and drizzle with caramel ice cream topping before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
To make tortillas easy to roll without cracking, wrap tortillas in paper towels; microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute or just until warmed.